Been reading the SSL Certificates HOWTO to learn a bit for my summer employment (which will require SSL communications). Nice because here my college education is actually helping, in that things I learned in my Discrete Math class are showing up.
Yesterday in the wee hours of the morning, I was getting bored researching this stuff, and so I googled one of my good friends from high school, David Krauss, an extremely talented computer engineer who knew PPC assembler and was fluent in C (and when I say fluent, I mean it) at the tender age of 15. A die-hard Mac lover with so much knowledge, I always wished and hoped he would get a job at Apple. And, it turns out, he did. That makes me happy. The world is somewhat just, it seems.
You know the rest.
Well, I got my video card, and definitely needed new holes drilled in my side panels. Unable to find a usable drill press, I decided to bring it to a local glass shop, as I mentioned before.
The guy acted like he could handle it, and said it was completely “feasible,” but that he’d have to “look it over tomorrow.” So I left the panels with him. I called him twice the next morning to see if he still thought it was possible, and to suggest I reduce the drill pattern to make it easier for him. No responses. He disappeared until 5pm or so. When I called him back he said he was “done.” I couldn’t believe it. Could the side panels be finished already? He said they “looked good,” there was just “a little shelling.” (Ok, so I can’t expect something like this).
Holy shit. A little shelling? He ruined my side panels!…
It’s June 1, so work begins today. I’ve started out by looking for a JSP/Java Servlet host for my web development project for the summer. Found out an old friend of mine from high school (Andy) is running a business where he resells server space, and he found me a real cheap price and a lot of features, which is nice. I’ll be the only client of his using Tomcat.
My computer problems seem fixed. I don’t want to jinx it, but the tests are running smooth, and I spent all last night developing without a crash. I really think it was a hot spot on my CPU from uneven spread of thermal paste. I switched to the stock Intel cooler with the “black dust” thermal paste, and it is running better. The only problem now is that the old cooling system makes a bit of noise, but I’ll replace it soon.
I planned on doing some case mods to my ECube along the lines of this and this, but know I won’t be able to do them alone (not without a good drill press). I am going to have the holes drilled by a local glass shop I think (Lion’s Pride in Manhasset?). I don’t receive the Nvidia video card until Wednesday, but I hope it fits and I can have these modifications done at the end of the week.
Well, I’m annoyed now. My hardware’s been unstable since the start of the summer. In WinXP I experience random BSOD on mysterious STOP codes like 0x0000008E and 0x0000007E (which are like page faults and unhandled system thread exceptions). I’m suspecting bad RAM. I pulled out one of my memory cards and left 3DMark03 running in loop, and indeed the computer still crashed. I have the other RAM DIMM out and will do the same kinda test to see what happens. If this crashes as well, the only thing I have left to suspect is this damn AIW 8500DV, which’ll be out of here soon anyway.
I hate stuff like this.
So, I decided I’m going to move away from my ATI hardware (an 8500DV AIW) and on to a cheap GeForce card by Leadtek. According to reviews, my 3D performance should increase significantly (from 1000 3DMarks with my current card to ~3500), and this way I should be able to use the Nvidia Linux drivers which are all the rave lately. Frankly I’m tired of ATI’s piss-poor graphics support for Linux.
The other thing is that now I will move my TV capture to a separate card in the PCI slot. A Hauppauge WinTV PVR Media Center Edition (MCE) 250 is my current choice. What’s nice is that then I’ll also get the capture functionality in Linux, which I’ve been missing with my ATI card.
The only thing I fear is that the Leadtek’s fan won’t fit in my Ecube because the AGP slot is near the side panel. But if that happens I’ll RMA to NewEgg.
So, I spent a little bit of time to get a new design going on this site. Basically put back together CuteNews 1.31 and coded some nice-looking stylesheets to go with the site. I also had to learn a little PHP for modifying CuteNews and also for simplifying the layout of the site (the header and footer are componentized, and the header has a little php code behind it so that it figures out what page you are on and chooses which images to write to HTML based on that information).
The reason I came back to this site is that I plan on working on a lot of projects this summer, and hopefully I’ll be disciplined enough to document my efforts here. We’ll see how that goes.